…HR ideas from Jeffery Giesener – CEO – SourceMob.com
Last week, I met with several prospects and asked a few probing questions:
- How many clicks does a candidate need to make to apply?
- What is the defection rate on a candidate application?
- Do you know how many candidate visits to your career site are coming from mobile?
- How many applies are coming from mobile?
Judging by their lack of answers, I was not surprised that their 2015 talent acquisition efforts are falling short of expectations.
So if I were in your shoes, here is a recruiting audit that I would do. Then judge the answers.
Why? Because with this audit approach, my sense is that your recruiting efforts will show a huge hole in candidate apply rates. A hole you are not even seeing. That means your recruiting budget dollars are not being spent efficiently…and it gets worse! Many of those dollars are easy to overlook, meaning that the lost money typically lands in the following four major difficult to see areas:
- How many clicks does a candidate need to complete an apply?
- What is the candidate defection rate from the start of the application process to the end?
Pretend that you are a candidate and find out what your own candidate apply experience is like. Most HRIS systems are skewed to the benefit of the company and the recruiters. They are essentially built by or for recruiters and not candidates. Additionally, most HRIS systems have crossed recruiting wires that make it difficult for candidates to apply. It is almost as if you are asking top talent to defect from your ATS pages! According to ERE.net, there could be as high as a 40-90% defection from your ATS pages. There shouldn’t be more than 3-4 clicks to an apply.
When you tested your apply process as a candidate:
- were you willing to wait for pages to load?
- Did they time out?
- Did they break?
- Were you willing to go through many application pages?
- Were you willing to fill out redundant information?
- Could you manage job listings on your mobile device?
Next, try the apply experience again, but time the process (along with your frustration levels). Then divide your frustration level timing by 4. The result is the amount of time a typical candidate will spend on your apply process before he/she moves on to another company. Is that what you want to happen?
- Do you know how many of your candidates are coming from mobile?
- Do you know how many applies are coming from mobile?
You should be able to get data on your mobile visits and mobile apply answers On-demand. You should also not need to rely on anyone else or any other department to get your talent acquisition stats and key performance indexes. This information is the lifeline of your recruiting business and you will not be able to “phone a friend” for help.
I sense in 2015 and beyond, your boss or CEO/CFO/CPO will soon be demanding these numbers from you and you will be evaluated by them. Packaged into these metrics for each job posting are campaign stats such as number of opens, number of clicks, costs per apply and hire.
How familiar are you with the numbers for every job campaign you run?
Mobile visitation trends to your career pages are skyrocketing.
Candidates want to apply to your jobs on their smartphones and Tablets.
- 90% of smartphone owners access the same email account on mobile and desktop. ExactTarget
- Daily, we spend 9 minutes on email via a mobile device “Mobile Life Report” (2013)
- Stats say that 47% of email is now opened on a mobile device Litmus –”Email Analytics” (Aug 2013)
- 23% of emails with images loaded come from mobile LiveIntent
How are you providing candidates with a mobile experience on your career pages and enabling them to apply to your jobs on their mobile devices?
If you are not currently providing candidates with an efficient mobile experience (regardless of platform – especially mobile), you need to start to do so or your top talent will defect to competitors.
- Reduce the number of clicks to an apply.
- Reduce your defection rate.
- Determine the number of mobile visits
To learn more of how SourceMob can assist your strategy and provide solutions, simply call me at 952-417-6955 or email me email@example.com .
To check out our latest Webinar Education schedule go to SourceMob.com and look for the Events link off the navigational bar http://sourcemob.com/events/
Next Webinar – July 29th SourceMob Webinar – 12 PM CDT:
Master Class – HR Marketing for your Talent Pipeline – Presented by Jeffery Giesener
ABOUT SOURCEMOB: SourceMob integrates Internet, social, talent community and mobile recruiting solutions to help talent acquisition professionals recruit the very best candidates for tough-to-fill positions. SourceMob’s IT, Analytics and HR Media Services distributes job content and conversations providing a job posting springboard to over 3.5 million candidate profiles on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+ and all of the major search engines. We help you engage with your candidates and capture niche Passive candidates. Our solutions also enable Mobile Quick Apply and candidate application management services to create efficiencies and lower recruiting costs.
Looking forward to hearing from you,